When a Loss Occurs


Auto Accident Property Stolen or Damaged Being Sued
Employee Insured Claim Process My Responsibilities


Auto Accident

  • Check for injuries
  • Call the police
  • Do not admit fault
  • If possible, note property damage to the involved vehicles and take photos
  • It is a good idea to keep a disposable camera in your vehicle(s)
  • Record names, addresses, and license information of all involved persons
  • Record vehicle descriptions, make, model, and tag numbers
  • Record names and addresses of any witnesses
  • Promptly report the accident to your agent or to Harford Mutualís 24-Hour ClaimLine at (877) 445-5826


Property is Stolen or Damaged

  • Take appropriate measures to protect your property from further damage or loss, even if coverage does not apply, by making reasonable emergency repairs such as boarding up of windows and doors, waterproofing any openings in the roof or walls, extracting water from carpeting, etc.
  • If possible, be sure to keep a record of any expenses you incur and take photos of the damage
  • Report the loss to the police if you believe a law may have been broken, such as theft
  • Notify the credit card or fund transfer card company in case of loss under Credit Card or Fund Transfer Card Coverage
  • Make an inventory of lost or damaged property including a complete description of the property, such as brand names, models, age, purchase price, and place of purchase
  • For your future protection, it is a good idea to inventory your personal belongings room by room
  • Promptly report the loss to your agent or to Harford Mutualís 24-Hour ClaimLine at (877) 445-5826


Being Sued

  • Harford Mutual will investigate any allegations of bodily injury or property damage made against you or an insured under your policy and will adjust those claims in which you may be legally liable, subject to the terms and conditions of your policy
  • Despite your opinion of the allegations made against you, it is imperative that you forward any lawsuit documents to your agent or to Harford Mutual immediately


Employee Injured

  • Report the loss as soon as possible to the 24-hour Workerís Compensation Claim Reporting Line at (877) 445-5826
  • Our workers' compensation claims personnel work diligently to guarantee that injured workers receive the medical attention they require
  • When necessary, medical case managers may be assigned to assist injured employees through the medical process


Claim Process

  • Once you reported a loss, a claim examiner or adjuster will contact you to obtain the details to assist in an investigation into the loss
  • A mutually convenient date and time will be arranged to inspect the damages to your property
  • Your policy will be assessed, subject to the terms and conditions, for coverage and if applicable, Harford will pay to repair or replace your lost or damaged property, or any claims made against you for which you are legally liable
  • Your claim examiner or adjuster will provide additional details


My Responsibilities

  • Give prompt notice of a loss to us or your agent
  • Notify the police in the event of loss by theft
  • Protect your property from further damage by making reasonable necessary repairs to protect the property and keep and accurate record of repair expenses
  • Show the damaged property
  • Provide us with records and documents we request during the course of a claim investigation and permit us to make copies (see Property is Stolen or Damaged)
  • Prepare an inventory (see Property is Stolen or Damaged)
  • If requested, submit to an examination under oath and/or submit a sworn statement of loss that sets forth your knowledge of the loss details
  • Cooperate with us in the investigation or settlement of the claim


Copyright - All rights reserved by The Harford Mutual Insurance Companies   -   Legal/Privacy Statements